RARE The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1950
Synopsis: Nathaniel Hawthorne's THE SCARLET LETTER reaches to our nation's historical and moral roots for the material of great tragedy. Set in an early New England colony, the novel shows the terrible impact a single, passionate act has on the lives of three members of the community: the defiant Hester Prynne; the fiery, tortured Reverend Dimmesdale; and the obsessed, vengeful Chillingworth.
With THE SCARLET LETTER, Hawthorne became the first American novelist to forge from our Puritan heritage a universal classic, a masterful exploration of humanity's unending struggle with sin, guilt and pride.
- Pocket Books Collector's Edition of The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- no date given, though my best estimate is that this book was published in the 1950s
- small; they call them Pocket Books for a reason :)
- hardcover, no dust jacket
- some rubbing on the corners, though overall great condition